Until a few years back, publishing ran on systems that were, mostly, housed on the publisher’s own computers. Today, with the advancement of technology, publishing is slowly but steadily making the transition to cloud-based digital publishing platforms. These new systems in publishing are usually hosted by the service provider, and they are cheaper to acquire and faster to install in a company’s workflow than the systems of the past.
With this change, a whole world of opportunities and benefits are opened before the publishers. Cloud-based publishing platforms have the potential to reduce costs, cut turnaround times, streamline workflows, eliminate processing errors and improve quality. Its flexibility, agility, worldwide access and ease of implementation is changing the face of publishing, making it increasingly dynamic.
They help to –
- Enhance experience for the consumers
- Streamline process and increase efficiency
- Increase revenue without compromise in quality
- Reduce manpower and labor costs
- Faster and efficient publishing process.
The advantages of moving to a cloud-based publishing are-
- All the stake holders can get access of the content easily and simultaneously, and it organizes the entire process of editing, compositing, and proofing the texts
- Editors can request corrections and other changes, and authors can implement them in real-time ensuring a faster, smoother correction and proof-reading process. This is because cloud-based publishing technology aggregates information on a single, easily accessible platform from a wide variety of sources like authors, freelancers, editorial staff, proofreaders etc.
- Cloud based publishing provides the opportunity for greater engagement and more efficient collaboration not just between editors and authors but also between multiple authors.
- The cloud-based publishing helps to instantly convert Word Document, PPT, and PDFs into ePUB3 format. It supports the publishers to connect with target audience across different devices such as tablets, smartphones, Chromebook etc.
- When publishing is cloud based, publishers have full visibility and transparency in the production process. Editors can view all the activities that have been performed on the original manuscript, who all are working on it and where they are in the review or approval process.
The future of digital publishing will be based on cloud technology. Publishers and authors benefit from optimized workflows and collaboration, and the creation of content gets streamlined and efficient. Cloud-based publishing platforms, with its ability to automate composition, deliver multiple output formats, increased efficiency and reduced costs, are providing publishers with strategies that will enable the publishing companies to thrive for years to come.